Ocean law and governance
Get an insight of the legal, institutional and policy-making dimensions pertaining to contemporary ocean affairs!← Back to courses
- CIVIS focus area
- Climate, environment and energy
- Open to
- Field of studies
- Social Science and humanities
- Course dates
- 27-31 March 2023
The webinars on Ocean Law Governance jointly offered by Aix Marseille Université (AMU) and the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens (NKUA) aim at providing an insight of the legal, institutional and policy-making dimensions pertaining to contemporary ocean affairs.
The courses will give an overview of the current legal issues dealing with the governance of the oceans, especially in the field of biodiversity and environnent protection and the exploitation of energy. It is a course about law and governance but it is open to all students even if they do not have a legal background ar the idea is to put some light on the main contemporary issues and evolutions in this field in a very broad perspective.
Main topics adressed
The one-week programme includes
- An introductory course on the legal and institutional framework of ocean governance,
- as well as specialized courses on different ocean policy domains that are at the forefront of ocean management today: Maritime spatial planning;
- Energy at sea;
- International Governance of Marine Living Resources;
- Environmental law, including response to plastic pollution.
- Understand the main contemporary issues dealing with ocean law and governance
- Ha general knowledge as regards the law of the sea institutionnal framework, the main organizations playing a role in ocean governance
- Analyzing the current context on the field of the exploitation of marine resources (fisheries, energy)
- Have an general understanding on the diverse issues concerning law of the sea and the diverse actors of maritime governance
|Language: English||Dates: 27 - 31 March 2023|
|Format: Virtual||Contact: email@example.com|
This course will be running for 5 days, 2 hours per day. Click here to see the programme of the course.
This course block does not offer ECTS but can be recognised and validated by the CIVIS passport.
Applicants should be Bachelor's, Master's or PhD students at one of the CIVIS member universities.
Academics and staff interested in the topic are also warmly welcome to register and join us.
Applicants should have an interest for the questions dealing with the ocean and for the study of governance and legal issues.
A working knowledge of English is required (at least B2 level).
There will be no selection for this online course. Every student is welcome to join.
Interested students should send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 March 2023.
The assessment will be a take home examination. It will be an essay to write in 24 hours.
- Emmanuella Doussis, Professor, Department of Political Science and Public Administration, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- Pascale Ricard, CNRS Researcher, Aix Marseille Université.
Emmanuella Doussis and Pascale Ricarde are both specialists of the law of the sea and international environmental law.