Webinar: Supporting students and scholars at risk. Efforts and good practices of UNICA and CIVIS Universities.
15 diciembre 2021← Back to events
- Open to
- CIVIS academics, researchers and administrative staff
- 15 diciembre 2021
Unica Network and Sapienza Università di Roma, in collaboration with CIVIS, are organising a webinar to share UNICA and CIVIS Universities efforts and good practices when it comes to supporting students and scholars at risk.
On August 22, UNICA joined other international higher education associations in the appeal addressed to European Governments and EU Institutions, to take action for Afghanistan’s scholars, researchers, and civil society actors, launched by Scholars at Risk (SAR).
According to the UNHCR, access to university education and research is a fundamental part of the protection and inclusion strategy of a refugee. How do universities react to this situation and how should they address the challenge?
The webinar “Supporting students and scholars at risk: efforts and good practices of UNICA and CIVIS universities” will take place online on 15 December 2021, from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm CET. The detailed programme of the webinar is available here. For further information, contact Laura Brossico (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Participation is free but registration is required.
In this webinar, Denise Roche, Advocacy Manager at SAR Europe, will give a keynote speech to inspire reflection and action on this issue. Denise Roche is currently leading the European Action for Academic Freedom project to expand, coordinate and support advocacy in Europe to promote academic freedom.
The Unica Network will be represented by Professor Luciano SASO, UNICA President, Member of the Steering Committee of CIVIS, and Deputy Rector of Sapienza Università di Roma. Representatives of CIVIS Universities will also be participating as speakers.
After the keynote speech of Denise Roche, representatives of UNICA members and of the CIVIS Alliance which adopted a welcoming policy for refugee and at-risk students and scholars will share good practices and experiences to inspire and motivate other colleagues and universities. This webinar aims to promote a vision in which everybody has the right to access university education and research.
List of speakers
- Denise Roche, Advocacy Manager Scholars at Risk Europe
- Delphine Dieudonné, Manager International Welcome Desk, Université libre de Bruxelles
- Sena Galazzi, Associate, Programme Officer, UNESCO-TWAS
- Martin Irwin, Named contact for forced migrants, University of Glasgow
- Giuliana Scognamiglio, Full Professor, Sapienza Università di Roma
- Florian Kohstall, Program Head Global Responsibility, Center for International Cooperation, Freie universität Berlin,
- Joe Carthy, Full Professor, University College Dublin