Skip to content


Q: Am I eligible to attend a CIVIS BIP?

A: CIVIS BIPs are open to students at any of the CIVIS member universities. Special criteria and processes apply to students from the University of Glasgow and the University of Lausanne though, i.e., to students from member universities outside the European Union. The detailed eligibility and selection criteria are mentioned in the “Practical Details” section of each BIP's webpage.

To be eligible, participants must be enrolled at their home university at the time of application and throughout the delivery of the course.
If you are uncertain about your eligibility for the BIP because of your status at your home university (part-time or exchange students etc) please check with your home university’s website or International Office (a list of useful links and contacts for each university can be found here).

Currently the participation of students from CIVIS’ African partner universities in BIPs is not yet possible, but this might change in the (near) future. Any news on this aspect will be published on the CIVIS website.

Q: What are the deadlines for applications?

A: There will be various waves of BIPs openings, each one with a specific application period. The first applications periods for the 2022-2023 academic year are:

  • 1-30 September 2022
  • 1-30 November 2022

Applications will not be accepted outside these periods. Each application period will offer a different selection of BIPs, so do not wait to apply if you see a course you like!

Q: How do I apply? What are the steps after I have been selected?

  1. As soon as you spot a BIP that interests you, get in touch with your programme coordinator at your home university to check whether this can be part of your study programme.
  2. Apply through the CIVIS mobility portal, which you can access directly from the listings in the CIVIS course catalogue.
  3. You will be notified of the outcome of your application at the latest one month after the student’s application submission deadline.
  4. You sign a learning agreement and complete the Erasmus+ paperwork with your home university. Your home institution’s International Office will contact you with details on the required process and documentation for your funding, including the signature of your Grant Agreement. The latter usually happens 1-2 months before the starting date of the said activities, so do not be alarmed if you are not contacted by your International Office right away! 
    Please note that step 4 is not applicable to the University of Glasgow and the University of Lausanne. Students should follow the instructions provided by their home university or contact them directly.
  5. You will then participate in online learning from home before or after travelling to another CIVIS member university for a 5-days face-to-face session alongside professors and students from across the Alliance. The duration of the online learning sessions depends on each CIVIS course. Physical mobility has a maximum duration of 5 days.

Q: What about funding?

A: Students from CIVIS members based in the EU are entitled to Erasmus+ funding for the duration of their physical mobility. Please refer to the “Funding and Expenses” section for more details. The grant is a contribution and is not offering full coverage of costs.

If you are already in receipt of other Erasmus funds at the time of the mobility, you will not be entitled to additional funding, but you may still be able to participate in the BIP under “zero-grant” status - your home university will provide information if this applies to you. 

Students from the University of Glasgow are eligible to participate in CIVIS BIPs but cannot receive an Erasmus-funded travel grant. Instead, they should contact the CIVIS team at

Students from the University of Lausanne are also eligible to participate in CIVIS BIPs but cannot receive an Erasmus-funded travel grant. Instead, they should contact UNIL directly at

Funding and expenses (students from EU-based institutions)

Q: I have been selected for a CIVIS BIP, and I am eligible to receive Erasmus+ funding. How much funding will I receive?

A: Students receive a set daily amount of 70 EUR for the duration of the physical activities, including up to 2 extra days for travel (or 4 days for green travel, if applicable-see below).

Additionally, students with fewer opportunities receive a top-up amount to the individual support of their EU Erasmus+ grant of an amount of 100 EUR for a physical mobility activity period of 5 days. The criteria to be applied are defined at the national level by the National Agencies in agreement with National Authorities.

Moreover, students with fewer opportunities will receive the below amounts of travel support to support them in covering their travel costs. The amount depends on the kilometric distance between the home university and the hosting university. This grant is a set amount to contribute to your travel cost (round-trip).

Travel distance


In case of green travel

Between 0 and 99 KM

23€ per participant


Between 100 and 499 KM

180 per participant

210 per participant

Between 500 and 1999 KM

275 per participant

320 per participant

Between 2000 and 2999 KM

360 per participant

410 per participant

Students who are not eligible for travel support can opt for green travel. In this case, they will receive a single contribution of 50 EUR as a top-up amount to the individual support and up to 4 days of additional individual support to cover travel days for a return trip, if relevant.

NOTE: The amount of green travel support (including the number of travel days, if any) may vary depending on the regulations of individual National Agencies and Higher Education Institutions. The sending institutions should provide students with precise information regarding the amount of green travel support.

Q: What is defined as a “travel day”?

A: Students are entitled to additional funding for up to 2 days (or up to 4 for green travel) beyond the BIP’s physical duration, which is meant to cover their expenses for the day of arrival and departure to and from the host city. These days are defined as “travel days” and are only funded if the arrival and departure take place before and after the dates of the physical activities. Travel on the first or last day of the activities does not count as travel days.

Q: I have not booked tickets for exactly the date before and after the course activities. Does this affect my funding for the “travel days”?

A: No. The exact dates of travel do not affect the funding, as long as they are before and after the course dates.

Q: What happens if I have to change my tickets?

A: If such a change occurs, you should contact your International Office immediately, especially if your new travel dates coincide with the course dates since this will affect your funding.

Q: Is there a possibility for extra funding other than the Individual Support and Travel Expenses?

A: For the time being there is no extra funding available. This may change in the future, so please check this webpage periodically for updates.

Q: I managed to book cheap tickets. Will I have to return part of the sum I received for travel expenses?

A: No, the sum for travel expenses is yours to keep, regardless of the actual price of the tickets.

Q: Do I need to use my individual support funding in a specific way? Will I need to keep receipts for my expenses?

A: You are free to use the funding for individual support in any way you like. You are not required to submit receipts of any kind or return any part of the funding, as long as you complete the mobility for the time period agreed in your Grant Agreement and submit the required documents.

Q: What happens with my funding if I do not finish the physical part of the BIP?

A: If you do not complete the BIP, you will be required to return the full amount you have received for individual expenses and travel expenses. This may not apply if the failure to complete the BIP was due to an unpredicted event. These cases (known as “force majeure” cases) are managed individually and affected students are required by the home International Office to provide adequate documentation as proof.

Q: Is there anything else I need to do regarding my funding after the course is over?

A: You will need to submit the documentation required by your home institution, in order to receive the remaining amount of the grant. Your home institution’s International Office is responsible for providing this information to you. Please pay attention to the guidelines and notifications you receive.

Funding and expenses (students from non EU-based institutions)

Different rules apply to students from non-EU based institutions. If you are a student at a non-EU based institution, you should contact your institution’s International office for information regarding funding.

Students from the University of Glasgow should contact the CIVIS team at

Students from the University of Lausanne should contact the responsible person at:

Questions regarding the course

Q: According to the details published for the course I am interested in, it will be realized in “Blended” format. What does this mean?

A: A “blended” course includes one or more parts that are performed online and one part which is performed in person at the host university. The exact dates and format of each part should be in the BIP details.

Q: Will I receive ECTS credits for completing the course?

A: A CIVIS BIP corresponds to at least 3 and up to 6 ECTS credits. If you complete the course you will receive a certificate, which will include the Learning Outcomes, as well as the ECTS credits given by the course.

You will also receive digital accreditation via the CIVIS Passport initiative, which is an innovative tool that records all CIVIS activities (credited and non-credited), which students receive upon graduation. The CIVIS Passport is one of the very first tools for recording and recognising learning experiences at a European level. You can find more information on the CIVIS Passport here.

Q: I have received a number of ECTS credits from a completed course. Can they be recognized and how?

A: Recognition of the acquired ECTS credits as part of your study programme depends on the policies and procedures of each CIVIS member university. Please contact your home institution’s International Office which will provide this information to you.

Q: What happens with the ECTS credits if I do not finish the BIP?

A: If the course is not completed (i.e. completion of all aspects of the course - attendance, assessment or participation in mobility) then ECTS will not be awarded.

Q: Is there anything else I need to do regarding ECTS recognition after the course is over?

A: ECTS recognition depends on national and institutional policies. Your home institution’s International Office is responsible for providing this information to you. Please pay attention to the guidelines and notifications you receive.

Q: Who can I contact for any details regarding the BIP’s activities and my stay in the host country/university?

A: For any information regarding the programme of the BIP, your accommodation (if provided), academic details, etc, please contact the coordinators of the course.


CIVIS course catalogue

Blended Intensive Programmes